How to Organize a Self-Storage Unit for Efficiency and Easy Access
If you’ve overgrown your basement, attic, or garage, a self-storage unit provides the space and security your belongings need. Instead of letting your possessions pile up, you can store them in a highly accessible and secure area until you need them again. This way, seasonal decorations and clothing, additional appliances, and outdoor lawn equipment can stay out of sight and out of mind but don’t take up extra room in your basement or attic.
As helpful as a self-storage unit can be, keeping the space organized can be a challenge. If you need to pick up the family’s winter coats in a few weeks but don’t know which box they’re packed away in, you’re going to spend hours going through your storage unit and undoing all your hard work. Instead of opening up box after box, dealing with a messy storage unit, there is a better way to manage your belongings - and it all starts with the right organization.
At Bluebird Self Storage, we understand how important it is to access your storage space and find what you’re looking for right away. Just because they’re in storage doesn’t mean you don’t need these belongings from time to time. That’s why we’re sharing our best storage organization tips and tricks, so you can make finding your items a breeze. Plus, we’ll also share the advantages of choosing self-storage near you in Calgary, Alberta, and highlight the incredible benefits our Dufferin facility has to offer your belongings.
The Best Self-Storage Unit Organization
When it comes to organizing your storage unit, it’s all about maximizing space, so you have plenty of room to store all your belongings. By making your storage unit’s organization as efficient as possible, it’s easier to access all your essential belongings when you need them most.
To have the best storage unit organization, use the following organizational tips as you begin packing.
- Make an Inventory List
- As you start to pack up your belongings, make a list of what's going inside. Keeping track of your stuff on an inventory sheet makes it easier to remember what you're placing in storage. Organize the inventory sheet based on how you pack each box to know precisely where it is and what’s inside.
- In addition to an inventory sheet, make a map of your storage unit, so you know which area holds the items you're looking for. Placing homeware on one side and clothing on the other keeps things organized and easy to navigate.
- Place High-Touch Items in Bins vs. Boxes
- While boxes are perfect for stacking, packing, and storing items, the packing tape, and tissue used to keep them protected add time to the unpacking process. If you have seasonal items you need to access every year, it’s easier to place them in a clear storage bin than a standard moving box. This way, you can see what’s inside before you open up the bin and can find what you need right away. Winter coats, holiday decor, and other items of importance are perfect for storing in bins, and your other items can stay packed away in moving boxes until you need them again.
- Label All Boxes and Items
- Labeling your boxes is essential for keeping your storage unit organized, or else you’re going to search every single box before you find what you need. Labeling the outside of your boxes will help you stay organized and know what’s inside.
- You can approach labeling in three different ways - writing the box’s contents on the outside, color coding your boxes, or numbering them.
- Sometimes labeling everything on the outside of the box can take additional time, but you’ll be able to read the contents of each box quickly and efficiently.
- Color coding them with sticky notes or labels means you can group household items by one color, kitchen items by another, and so on.
- A numbering system is also effective because you can write the number on the box and then keep track of what’s inside on your master inventory list. Whatever system you choose, make sure it’s highly effective for you and your family.
- Place Bulky Objects in the Back
- Chances are, your high-touch items that need to be most accessible aren’t a bed frame or a couch. By storing your bulky items in the back, you leave plenty of room for the rest of your possessions in the front of your storage unit.
- Leave Pathways for Accessibility
- A storage unit can become crowded very quickly, especially once you start piling up boxes. If you plan on accessing your unit frequently, utilizing the vertical space of your unit helps create spacious pathways so that you can walk around freely during your visit.
- High-Touch Objects in Front
- If you plan on storing seasonal items, clothing, or certain belongings in your storage unit, it’s best to keep them upfront. That way, you can stay near the front of your storage unit when you’re searching for items instead of sifting through other boxes containing what you don’t need. Easy access areas will make your visit more efficient and comfortable in the long run.
- Pick the Right Unit and Facility
- Keeping an organized self-storage unit doesn’t just take careful planning - you also need the right storage unit size and facility. At Bluebird Self Storage, we make sure we offer our customers a wide range of storage options and keep our facilities incredibly clean so you can enjoy everything self-storage has to offer.
Unsure what size storage unit fits your needs? Our Storage Unit Size Guide can help!
Find the Best Self-Storage Near You in Calgary, Alberta
Even the most organized self-storage units can cause problems. Lack of lighting, security, and accessibility can make reaching your storage unit and getting what you need on-time more difficult. At Bluebird, we believe that our customers should have the chance to access their stuff on their own time. That’s why we don’t just provide standard storage units - we provide our customers with a valuable storage experience.
When it comes to residential self-storage, moving self-storage, and commercial self-storage, Bluebird has your back. By incorporating state-of-the-art technology and convenient amenities throughout our facilities, we don’t just provide our customers with a self-storage unit - we offer storage solutions that ease and enhance the moving process. Whether you’re relocating your business, moving to a new home, or need to prepare your house before a showing, our Calgary self-storage facility is here to help.
If you need self-storage near you in Calgary, Alberta, our Dufferin facility has everything needed to store your belongings as long as you’d like. With unit sizes ranging from 5x5 square feet to 10x25 square feet, you’ll be able to find the right storage space for all your belongings and have access to the exclusive features of our self-storage facility in Calgary.
Features of our Calgary Self-Storage Facility
Every Bluebird self-storage facility is one of a kind, and our Calgary, Alberta facility is no exception. It’s conveniently located by the Dufferin North Industrial Park, next to the Great White Car & Truck Wash. It is very close to McKenzie Towne, Mahogany, Douglas Dale, and Quarry Park.
Our self-storage facility in Calgary, Alberta, also has unique features like:
- Drive-Thru Unloading Station
- You can unload your moving truck or car with ease, thanks to our drive-thru unloading station. You can pull through your car, park it inside the loading bay, and unload your vehicle at your own pace.
- Boardroom for Business Owners
- Bluebird wants our facilities to provide more than storage solutions, which is why we offer a ready-to-use boardroom for our customers at our Calgary facility! This boardroom lets business owners hold meetings while they’re in-between spaces or tackling renovations.
- High-Tech Security
- If you’re looking for secure self-storage near you in Calgary, Alberta, our facility has your back. Our facility is monitored 24/7, using state-of-the-art technology and security cameras. In addition to our cameras, we use personalized access codes, and all of our hallways have motion sensor lighting.
- Full Month Value
- Instead of being charged on a 28-day billing cycle, all Bluebird facilities base our rates on one full month of storage. Plus, we offer one transparent, locked-in, 365-day price for all our customers, so you’ll never overspend on storage.
- Protection Plan
- We offer an exclusive protection plan that helps secure the well-being of your stuff. In the event of a mishap or accident, your possessions will have the extra protection and coverage they deserve.
- Large Cargo Area
- Our cargo area is highly accommodating and accessible for all our customers so that you can move all your belongings with ease.
- Heated Units
- If you’re packing personal items or family keepsakes, it’s essential to give them the best protection possible. At our self-storage facility in Calgary, you can pick between heated and unheated storage units so your items stay preserved during their stay.
Finding the best self-storage unit near you can be challenging, but with Bluebird, every part of your experience is simplified. If you’re ready to find the best self-storage unit that can maximize your organization, our self-storage facility in Calgary, Alberta, is up for the challenge!